Mid-Summer Cucumber Salad
"[This recipe] screams summer, with its refreshing bites of cucumber and juicy tomato. The red onion adds just the right amount of bite that is tempered slightly by the creamy avocado. Take it to a picnic, a backyard fiesta or an evening dinner on a friend's front porch. Margarita not required, but definitely recommended." -Andrea
Recipe courtesy of Bella Eats
Photo copyrighted by Andrea Hubbell Photography
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, diced finely
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, chopped to 1/2-inch dice
- finely chopped cilantro, to taste (I find that everybody's tolerance for cilantro is a little different, so use as much or as little as you'd like)
- 1/4-cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Peel cucumbers and slice them in half length-wise. Scoop seeds out with a spoon and cut cukes into 1/2-inch slices. Place cukes in colander in sink and sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss to coat and let sit for 30 minutes before rinsing very well.
- Combine vinegar, honey, shallot, mustard and garlic in food processor. Slowly add olive oil and process until smooth. Salt + pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss rinsed cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes, avocado and cilantro together. Add dressing to taste. You will have dressing leftover, and it should be used within 1 week.