Vanilla Bean Pound Cake with Rum Caramel Sauce
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen and Bon Appetit courtesy of Bella Eats
Photo copyrighted by Andrea Hubbell Photography
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
Rum Caramel Sauce ingredients:
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp spiced or dark rum **Relay note: sorry, folks, we don't sell rum--hope you have some at home!
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350*. Butter and flour a tube cake pan, knocking excess flour from pan.
- With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and shortening. Add the sugar a little at a time, and blend well. Add eggs one at a time, blending after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add to the butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk, starting with the flour and ending with flour. Mix in the vanilla and the scraped-out insides of the vanilla bean.
- Pour into your buttered and floured baking pan and smooth the top of the batter. Bake for 60-75 minutes, until the top is starting to turn golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on rack completely before removing from pan.
For the rum caramel sauce:
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt your butter. Stir in sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add cream and rum and bring to a simmer, cooking until sauce thickens and is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups, about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle rum sauce over individual slices of cake.
Sauce can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Refrigerate, and reheat on stovetop when ready to serve.